Monday, February 15, 2010

Little Lu is turning 3!

Yes, I have an unhealthy obsession with Chihuahuas.  It's a sickness.  I had major withdrawals when I moved out of my parents' house during college and had to leave our family dog, Wanda, behind.  Sure, I got to see her whenever I wanted, but it wasn't the same as waking up with her curled up in a ball on my bed every morning.  Wanda lived to be 17, which seems very old for a dog, but Chihuahuas can live to be 25.  It was very hard for me, but my mom and I were comforted with the knowledge that Wanda was now with my dad.  Chihuahuas tend to have one favorite person and my dad was definitely that person for Wanda.  She was severely depressed after he passed away and it made me happy to know that they were reunited, especially since she lived a very long life.  Sorry - I went off on a tangent there.  My point of telling you all of this is that after my experience with Wanda, I definitely wanted a Chihuahua of my own.

For me, Chihuahuas are not trendy.  They should not be dressed in clothes, unless a sweater if it's really cold outside.  It annoys me that this particular breed of dog has become associated with rich, vapid and blonde girls.  So, I vowed that when I got my own dog, I would not treat her as a toy.  So, a little less than 3 years ago, Lucy came into my life.

Lucy at 2 weeks old (Alex used to call her "triangle ears")

Lucy is going to be 3 years old on Friday.  It makes me realize that if time went by so fast with her, it's going to go by even faster with kids.  I definitely can't wait to have children, but I know Lucy will be extremely jealous and it will be an adjustment period.  Oh well, I don't need to worry about that for a couple of years.  In the meantime, I will enjoy my time with my only "child". 

   
Lucy in 2010

Happy birthday Little Lu!

Thank you to everyone who is reading this for indulging me.  : )

1 comment:

  1. Aw, happy birthday baby puppy!! Those baby pictures are so cute!

    ReplyDelete